Wendy Lerman Blog

An addendum to the website http://www.wendylerman.com

Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm Home

Well it's good to be home and what a beautiful day to boot! Besides a pounding headache, I feel good.

I thought since one of my goals is to educate I should post some information regarding Cellulitis. Since ANYONE can get it you should become aware of it's symptoms. Since I have Lymphedema, contracting Cellulitis in the same location is just a million times more dangerous and I am super susceptible to Cellulitis because of the Lymphedema.

I got this info from www.wisegeek.com I just found this site and it's very informative. Here is just a little of what I found on this topic.

"Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection characterized by redness, swelling, and a feeling of heat or tenderness around the affected area. It is a condition that needs prompt medical attention. Failure to treat cellulitis can result in more serious and sometimes life-threatening infections of the blood, lymph nodes, heart and skin cells.
Cellulitis most commonly occurs when a cut in the skin is not cleaned properly. The cut can be minor, such as a scrape, or major, like a surgical incision. Bacteria, often found on normal skin cells, can then invade the lower layers of the skin and infect the subcutaneous (lowest) layer of the skin. Common bacteria that cause disease are streptococcus (strep) and staphylococcus (staphSince cellulitis spreads quickly and can lead to more serious infections, it is important to see a doctor if you suspect you have contracted it. Along with the symptoms listed above, cellulitis may also cause fever, chills and swollen glands. One may also observe red streaks around the affected area. A doctor can properly diagnose the condition and prescribe oral antibiotics like Keflex (cephalexin), usually taken for 10-14 days. The doctor will most likely want to recheck the area to be sure the symptoms are resolving.
Untreated, cellulitis can cause multiple and very serious complications. Strep cells released into the bloodstream can result in cardiac impairment, as they grow tissue in the heart muscle, a condition known as bacterial endocarditis. Infections of the lymph nodes may need to be drained. Most seriously, gangrene and flesh-eating bacteria can develop, necessitating amputation and sometimes leading to death. At the very least, untreated cellulitis will probably result in a hospital stay and intravenous antibiotics to waylay more serious infections."

How serious this was is just hitting me. I could of had my arm amputated or even worse, died! I think I'll process this later. Right now I am going to take this kids and the dog to the park and enjoy this day.

Love and light,

Wendy

posted by Unknown @ 10:44 AM

3 Comments:

At April 20, 2007 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog today on technorati so I admittedly haven't been following your treatment but I noticed that you are battling lymphedema. I have been suffering from primary lymphedema since birth due to a genetic disease. I've battled milder forms of cellulitis since high school, and I sometimes get infections as often as once a week. When you get them as frequently as I do, frequent trips to the doctor can become inefficient so sometimes the answer is prophylactic antibiotics, or simply sitting tight and letting your body fight off the infection. Sometimes doctors don't understand enough about lymphedema to be willing to give prophylactics and frequently treating them with antibiotics can result in resistant forms of staph or strep, in which case you will be up the creek and may end up septic, as I nearly did many years ago. Be sure to treat your lymphedema affected limb extremely carefully. Preventing cellulitis is obviously the best way to treat it. Good luck with your treatment!

 
At April 20, 2007 8:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lymphedema Support,
Thanks for your comment! I guess I've been playing russian roulette for the last 7 years since my lymph node dissection for breast cancer. This is the first time I had a problem with my hand/arm and I became septic almost immediately. I mean, I don't know how it happened but one minute my arm starting hurting and a few hours later it was really hurting, red from my fingers to my shoulder and I spiked a very high temp just driving to the hospital.

So I noticed that your reply address is Lymphedema Support. Is there a website affiliated with you?

I think it's time I become more proactive with regards to Lymphedema.

Wendy

 
At May 31, 2007 1:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I currently run lymphedemasupport.com. I would certainly welcome any comments you have about the site or any contributions you would like to make.

I think the most important step I made for treating my lymphedema was getting a custom compression garment. It makes my limb stay the same size as long as I'm wearing it and has most certainly kept my condition from getting any worse than it already is. I also have a compression pump, but so far I've found that it causes more trouble than it's worth because it frees up lymph that has been stuck since my childhood and I've gotten incredibly sick each time I use it.

Even a quick compression sleeve from amazon.com or something like that will go a long way to help your arm from worsening. Also, be sure to tell each and every doctor to treat that limb with care, including no needles and blood pressure cuffs. Sadly, quite a few will ignore you but it's your body and he's your doctor. If he/she can't comply, find another doctor. Western medicine hasn't quite bought into the lymphedema problem yet so it's difficult to find good treatment.

Again, good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home