Wendy Lerman Blog

An addendum to the website http://www.wendylerman.com

Friday, February 18, 2011

71-A

***71-A***

It is my theory that I knew-before I was born- my life was going to take many massive twists and turns and be filled with an abundance of diversity. I believe that once I was given the green light back to this world, I was eager and ready to get started and ended up being born in the elevator of the Malden Hospital. Ever since I can remember, my mom would say to me “Since the day you were born, you’ve always been in a hurry! Rush, rush, rushing to get nowhere”.

The day I started kindergarten was the first most exhilarating time of my life. I wanted to walk by myself and because of my constant nagging with undertones of conviction, I soon got my wish. I wanted to do everything. I wanted to learn everything. I loved school!

Not only did I love school, I was good at it. So good that one day when I was in the third grade my teacher asked me to bring a letter home to my parents. I stood by the phone with the letter in hand and stared at it, trying to summon up the courage to call my mom at work. I thought I must be in some big trouble. My hands are now trembling and dialing her number on our rotary phone took a few tries. You remember, you started to dial a nine, but didn’t get all the way around, it would “catch” and, it hurt your finger too!

As I read this letter —that I couldn’t seem to comprehend— over the phone to my mom, she began to praise me in a way that sounded like she was singing. Apparently the school was informing her that they believe I am a little more advanced and that they would like to administer some tests to confirm. Once confirmed I would change over to the school where they have a Major Works program. I felt like I hit the lottery!

Once my brother got wind of this news, he began to point out some key information for me. He wanted to protect me and arm me with some facts before I went to my testing. Facts such as, I would be in a school all the way across the city with kids I don’t know. All my neighborhood friends (and we had a pretty large group) were going to disown me once I switched schools. My life would be hell. I would have no friends left.

The days of the testing, all I could here was my brother in my ear and I panicked. I panicked and I started giving the wrong answers. I sabotaged my chances. I had a choice and I made the wrong one.

I got teased for being a bookworm, goody-two-shoes, teacher’s pet….but I still managed to keep focused and do good. My family may have been somewhat aware to some trouble that lurked but priority of focus was on my mom and her health.

My mom got sick the day I was born. I was discharged from the hospital where she had to remain for a period of time. An official diagnosis wasn’t made until I was ten or eleven. She knew something was wrong for all those years and the doctors continually dismissed her concerns because they could not find anything. Told her she was crazy. It turns out she had MS.

Seventh grade began and I was elated to be in Junior High School. One more step toward college-I could hardly breathe. This particular year my school implemented a breakdown of the students into divisions which were 71A, 71B, 72A, 72B. The advanced level students were in 71A, and the students who struggled the most were in 72B. Not only was I going to be in Junior High, but at the highest level. Life was great, despite my home life.
It was report card day! I walked into class and noticed my name written on the blackboard amongst some other names except my name had a bunch of stars next to it. I am once again filled with fear that I was in trouble until my homeroom teach Mr. Rubin strolled in and began announcing to the class: “Class, may have I your attention? I’m sure you all noticed the names written on the blackboard and are curious why they’re there. If your name is on the blackboard, then you have made the honor roll. Good Job! Now if you notice, there are a bunch of stars next to Wendy’s name, a big congratulations goes to Wendy. Wendy is the only student in the entire 7th grade to have made honor roll with straight A’s. I almost jumped out of my seat from the excitement until I became aware of the looks from the other kids. The harassing began straight away. It was made abundantly clear that I was not cool and did not fit in. I didn’t fit in at home and I didn’t fit in at the only place I wanted to be, school.

I was at my first real crossroad and I went the wrong way.

Addendum:

Regarding my 71-A post, I fudged my test so that I wouldn’t get into the Major Works program. I was teased in school, neglected (not on purpose) at home and the only reprieve I had was my neighborhood gang, my friends. My brother told me I would lose them once I went to Major Works. I panicked and chose the wrong road. I hadn’t figured this out until some years after mom passed.

The reason I share any of my experiences is not in search of pity, attention or acceptance. I share them as a way to plant seeds to all who open their heart to read so that maybe, something I say will resonate and lead readers to stay on their path and recognize their defining moments along the way.



Soon after, my mom had a seizure and they discovered a brain tumor.

posted by Unknown @ 8:24 PM

2 Comments:

At February 18, 2011 9:32 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

(If this is a duplicate, my apologies....)

I didn't know you were at Major Works! I'd been invited at the end of my third grade year - but they stopped it, and so in 4th grade I stayed.

OMG, I had no idea your Mom had been sick.... :( You certainly haven't had it easy, have you...?

And, I'm glad you started writing again. I'm looking forward to reading. :)

 
At February 18, 2011 9:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the old days Wendy and let me tell you....."You defininately DID fit into that family of yours". Your mom gave a smile that reached right up to her eyes every time she looked at you.
That is something I will never forget!

Love
Janice Ross (Barruw)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home